|Newly re-elected Vietnamese Communist Party Secretary General Nong Duc Manh, (C), is congratulated by National Assembly Chairman Nguyen Van An (L) (AFP Photo)|
In the April 25 morning, the 10th National Party Congress announced the results of election of the Politburo, the Secretariat and the Central Inspection Committee.
Mr. Nong Duc Manh, Party General Secretary, was re-elected to another five-year term. Mr. Nguyen Van Chi was elected chief of the Central Inspection Committee.
The Politburo’s 14 members are Nong Duc Manh, Le Hong Anh, Nguyen Tan Dung, Nguyen Minh Triet, Truong Tan Sang, Nguyen Phu Trong, Pham Gia Khiem, Phung Quang Thanh, Truong Vinh Trong, Le Thanh Hai, Nguyen Sinh Hung, Pham Quang Nghi, Ho Duc Viet and Nguyen Van Chi.
The Politburo had earlier been planned to consist of 15 to 17 people.
The eight members of the Secretariat are Nong Duc Manh, Truong Tan Sang, Truong Vinh Trong, Nguyen Van Chi, Pham Quang Nghi, Le Van Dung, Tong Thi Phong and To Huy Rua. The Secretariat had earlier been planned to consist of 9 to 11 people.
The Central Inspection Committee is comprised of Nguyen Van Chi, Nguyen Thi Doan, Tran Van Chuyen, Pham Thi Hai Chuyen, Tran Hoa, Pham Chi Hoa, Pham Thi Hoe, Le Hong Liem, Le Van Giang, Nguyen Van Dam, Sa Nhu Hoa, Nguyen Minh Quang, Bui Van The and To Quang Thu.
Biography of General Secretary Nong Duc Manh
- Born on September 11, 1940 in Cuong Loi Village, Na Ri District, Bac Kan Province, in a family of the Tay minority group.
- 1958-1961: attending the Ha Noi Agro-Forestry College
- 1962-1963: a forestry worker at the Forestry Service of Bac Kan Province
- July 5, 1963: joining the Labor Party of Viet Nam (later becoming the Communist Party of Viet Nam)
- After graduating from the Leningrad Forestry Institute (of the former Soviet Union), he returned to Viet Nam, becoming Deputy Head of the Inspection Board of Bac Thai Province’s Forestry Service, then appointed Director of Phu Luong Plantation in Bac Thai Province
- 1974-1976: studying at the High-Level Nguyen Ai Quoc Party School (now the Ho Chi Minh National Politics Institute)
- 1976-1980: member of the Provincial Party Committee, Deputy Director of the Forestry Service and Director of the Forestry Construction Company, then Director of the province’s Forestry Service
- 1980-1983: member of the Provincial Party Committee and Deputy Chairman of the Bac Thai Province People’s Committee, then Deputy Party Chief of the province and Chairman of the Bac Thai Province People’s Committee.
- November 1986: becoming Party Chief of the province. At the sixth National Party Congress, elected an alternative member of the Party Central Executive Committee
- March 1989: elected full member of the Party Central Executive Committee
- June 1991: re-elected member of the party Central Executive Committee at the seventh National Party Congress, and elected a member of the Politburo
- September 1992: elected Chairman of the National Assembly, 9th tenure
- June 1996: re-elected member of the Party Central Executive Committee at the eighth National Party Congress and elected a Politburo member
- September 1997: re-elected Chairman of the National Assembly, 10th tenure
- January 1998: elected a permanent member of the Politburo
- April 2001: re-elected a member of the Party Central Executive Committee at the ninth National Party Congress and elected Party General Secretary.