Welders cause Kumho Asiana Plaza fire, says builder

Firefighters deal with the flame at the Kumho Asiana Plaza in HCM City May 24 (Photo: Tuoi Tre)

Sparks from welders caused the fire at the Kumho Asiana Plaza in Ho Chi Minh City on May 24, the main contractor building the complex said May 25.

South Korea's Kumho E&C said the fire broke out on the ground floor after sparks from welding machines set fire to protective plastic wrappings on the air-conditioning system.

It burnt 35 heat exchangers and part of the outside surface of the 32-storey building.

The fire has, however, not affected the progress of construction which would be completed in early September as planned, the company said.

The city Fire Prevention and Fighting Police are re-examining measures to protect the site and continuing with their investigations.

Related news:
Blaze at Kumho Asiana Plaza, put out quickly

By D. Loan – Translated by Truc Thinh

Other news