Survey reveals lingering poverty for resettled citizens

Most residents resettled since 2010 experience decreased income in Ho Chi Minh City, said Dr. Tran Van Than, deputy head of the city’s Institute for Development Studies, on February 12.

Apartment blocks for resettled citizens in District 2 (Photo: SGGP)

Resettlement programs have not created more jobs and many people retained previous jobs yet commute longer distances, said Dr. Than.

About 39 percent of households suffered income decrease, according to a survey by the Institute for Development Studies. The survey covered 498 out of 4,962 households that were resettled into 104 development projects across eight districts since 2010.

About 43 percent of resettled citizens older than 15 years old are unemployed, according to the survey. This leaves a 57 percent employment rate amongst adults. Only 10 percent of employed citizens actually obtained new jobs after resettlement.

More than 67 percent of employed workers are currently laborers in factories. The remaining people own personal businesses and work freelance. 

By Duong Loan – Translated by Hai Mien

Other news