The first case of meningoencephalitis, a serious type of brain infection, in 2014 was admitted into the Central Tropical Diseases Hospital on February 12.
The 21-year-old man from Hanoi’s Phu Xuyen District was transferred to the hospital after experiencing purpura, bleeding under the skin causing discoloration, said hospital director Nguyen Van Kinh.
He suffered serious infection and shocked from vaccination.
The diagnosis confirmed the man had meningoencephalitis. He was rushed to the special ward for quarantine and intensive treatment.
The man is now under stable condition after bouts of high fever.
The sudden occurrence of meningoencephalitis is quite alarming because it was not prevalent for so long, said Dr. Kinh.
In 2012, the rate of meningoencephalitis infection decreased 850 percent since 1984, according to the Ministry of Health.