Three more people have died and a fourth is in critical condition after eating poisonous mushrooms they gathered in a local forest in the central province of Nghe An.
Dr Vu Ngoc Lan, head of the intensive care unit at the Nghe An General Hospital, said May 19 that the relatives of a man called Vu Ba Ky, 40, of Ky Son District wanted to take him home after doctors gave him little chance of survival.
Ky and his neighbors Vu Ba Trung, 17, Vu Tay By, 42, and Vu Ba So, 39 went to the forest on May 12 to saw logs and ate an off-white mushroom they found in the forest.
Not long afterwards they began to suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, and headache and were rushed to a district hospital which transferred them to the province general hospital.
Doctors found their kidney and liver had failed.
On May 18 Trung, By, and So died.
In March five people had died in Tuyen Quang after consuming toxic mushroom.
Medical workers alarmed about mushroom poisoning